10,000 lifetimes together

10,000 lifetimes together
Hubby and Me

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh

So, I have been thinking a lot about Christmas and what it means to my children. This year I have gotten just about nauseated by the commercialization of it. Then I go down into the play room and see all of the toys that they don't really play with.

I heard one time that a mom only allowed her kids three presents. when they asked why she said, "Jesus only got three, you think your better than Him?". So I am adopting this idea. Of course, they get one gift from Santa and their stockings =). However, I think that is enough. It is not about how much or what they get. I am DONE with it all. I would much rather spend my time and money on teaching my girls to give of our money and time to people who are much less fortunate then we are. I would rather bake cookies, watch Hallmark, and make funky macaroni ornaments with them. And, you know what, it is FREEING! I cannot tell you how much of a stress relief it is! I am not worried about how much I am spending, how to make it stretch, or is it "enough"? (rolls eyes)

I feel like I can enjoy the holidays and spend more of my resources doing it. So with all that money not being spent on silly things, we can send money to our World Vision child to have a Christmas that she has never known. Make cookies for our neighbors. Carol at the nursing home. Volunteer at the food truck. Hey, maybe even go on that Santa Train that we never want to spend the money on because, it could be used on presents. Making memories and enjoying the season without my mind and energy somewhere else. You know what, the more you talk about it with your kids ( the younger they are helps too), they will get it. My girls and I have talked about it and they are so okay with it. It is not a big deal to them because, they would rather drink cocoa and play board games anyway.

What do you think? Are you tired of dreading Christmas? Are you sick of  all the nonsense? I dare you to take the three present challenge.=)

No comments:

Post a Comment